What is Pornography Addiction?
A state of mind when the urge to virtually participate or engage in sexual activity can be categorized as a progressive disorder or pornography addiction. Similar to drug and alcohol addiction, sex addiction is caused by a malfunction in the brain’s reward circuitry.
Just like every individual is different, the addiction differs from each person. Though it is difficult to be identified it can create harmful behavioral consequences. These harmful consequences see the effect on work, family and personal identity. Sometimes triggering feelings of guilt and shame, which can lead to despair and separation from others.
Pornography addiction is a progressive disorder and can get worse if disregarded. It is vital to seek help to avoid grave consequences.
What Causes Porn Addiction?
For decades, there has been big controversy surrounding sex and porn addiction. Researchers are yet to agree on any clear set of factors that cause porn addiction. Some sex research studies have come up with a group of four factors that contribute to porn addiction.
• Biological factors: A person’s unique genetic and physiological features can increase their likelihood of addicting to porn. It could be because people differ in terms of what causes them sexual arousal and the degree to which they derive pleasure from watching pornographic content.
• Psychological factors: Some people use porn to get relief from mental distresses, avoid boredom, to achieve pleasure, and avoid accompanying withdrawal symptoms
• Socio-cultural factors: Notions, for example, those of the socially acceptable ways of having sex and whom you should have sex with can lead to sexual dissatisfaction in intimate relationships. It can draw someone to porn for satisfaction. Other factors are easy availability of pornographic content online, peer pressure, and the spirit of sexual adventure.
• Spirituality: A person’s level of spirituality can determine whether pornography addiction develops and flourishes. A spiritual person may more likely to withstand porn triggers.
Porn Addiction Relapse (Preventing Relapse After Porn Recovery)
Porn addiction can be a chronic illness. Irrespective of whether your recovery has lasted for a week or a year, you can’t rule out the possibility of relapse. It can help to stay vigilant and avoid people, places, and situations that can trigger a relapse. Strategies to help you prevent porn addiction relapse include:
• Staying connected with loved ones and professional support to avoid boredom and loss of direction
• Getting professional treatment for any dual diagnosis or co-occurring disorders
• Spending your free time wisely—for instance, incorporating sports, exercises, and volunteer work into your daily routine
• Keeping personal computers and smartphones in open places
• Having a system of people around to serve as instant support
• Avoiding potential triggers or stressors daily
Pornography Addiction Treatment in Alpha Healing Center
At a point in time, where the world is so fixated on sex, it is challenging to understand when the line into addiction is crossed. In fact, it is an existent behavioral disorder affecting several people and making it essentially difficult for them to endure a healthy lifestyle or significant relationships.
The good news – with excellent treatment an individual can be freed from addiction and lead a healthy sex life and have satisfying relationships.
Concerns of Pornography Addiction
If left untreated, sex addiction has many negative effects on an individual’s life, and can often lead to the following consequences:
- Strained and destroyed relationships
- Lack of enjoyment in life and isolation from others
- Loss of interest in work or personal life
- Severe emotional state of shame, guilt, hopelessness and depression
- Tendency to more addictions (i.e. drugs, alcohol or gambling addiction)
- Financial turmoil
Options of Treatment for Pornography Addiction
The two prime kinds of addiction treatment are inpatient and outpatient treatments. Outpatient addiction treatment is meant for those who are in their early stages of addiction and can still perform activities of routine life while attending the treatment sessions a few times a week.
Inpatient addiction treatment involves an individual to live at the residential facility during the process of the treatment. This is highly recommended when they have severe addictions issues and the below reasons are to be considered:
- Removal from triggers/negative influences
- Complete immersion in recovery
- No access to drugs or alcohol
- 24/7 support
Porn addiction can take a toll on your relationships, make you neglect yourself, hurt your career, and even your family responsibilities. Fortunately, it is treatable. For severe addiction, it’s best to receive treatment in a reputable residential treatment facility. Treatment options for porn addiction include:
• CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy): CBT helps a porn addict identify how their feelings and thoughts drive them to pornography. It will help you challenge those beliefs and wrong ideas about sex (that often lead to a compulsive urge for pornography).
• ACT (acceptance and commitment therapy): ACT will help you identify those thoughts and beliefs that trigger your addiction. It’ll then help you learn how to accept the thought patterns without having to react to them.
• DBT (dialectical behavioral therapy): DBT focuses on helping a person grappling with porn addiction accept their condition and acquire the skill of dealing with it. It can help isolate and replace damaging porn-related thought patterns with healthy ones.
• Psychodynamic therapy: if your porn addiction stems from your childhood experiences, PT can help you understand why you feel the way you do. It will also help you learn better ways of releasing such thoughts.
• Group therapy: Porn addiction can harm social life. Family therapy and attending therapy sessions together with people who have walked your journey can offer you a chance to learn how others are dealing with their conditions. It can also help you develop self-confidence, help you mend broken intimate relationships, promote personal growth, teach you how to communicate freely, and rebuild trust.
The Alpha Healing Center: Efficient and Confidential Treatment for Pornography Addiction
An ongoing phase of struggle with pornography addiction, then the Alpha Healing Center is here to help. It is a luxury residential rehab facility that avowals of a private accommodation in a splendid, serene setting amidst nature. Their professional trained counselors have years of mutual experience in treating addiction and many of them are currently in recovery themselves, implying they are able to pull from personal experience during counseling sessions as well.
The Alpha Healing Center also offers family therapy sessions for those who need help to restore relationships and family life.
Contact For 30 Days Residential Treatment Program