Significant Signs of Social Media Addiction
Since the internet has become such an essential tool in our lifestyle, it is challenging to understand when the usage becomes problematic. Some signs include secluding living, sleep deprivation, spending less time being social and thinking about being on the internet.
Treatment for Social Media Addiction in India
Individuals are getting addicted to the internet all over the globe. Through various electronic devices like laptops, smartphones, and tablets everyone is glued to the World Wide Web and it has become a part of our work, school, and home.
The opportunities that the internet provides are galore. It includes communication, learning, gaming, entertainment and business opportunities. Though are some negative aspects of being always on the internet as well. Millions of individuals all over the world are affected by the negative impact of the internet and the requirement for a social media addiction treatment has actively increased.
Social Media Addiction is a Progressive Addiction
The normal usage of using the internet slowly and progressively turns into a compulsive addiction towards it. For example – a group of individuals who are sitting together but none of them are conversing instead all of them are glued to using the internet on their smartphones or tablets. The social media websites and internet gaming plays a major role in social media addiction.
Similar to other behavioral or process addiction, an internet user’s reward center of the brain gets excited with the thought of accessing the internet. When an individual gets so attached to the internet world and away from the realities of life around then this is considered internet addiction.
Effects of Social Media Addiction
Social media addiction causes many negative effects in an individual’s life, including the following:
- Reduced productivity – frequently browsing the internet, email, social media or games decreases work or school time causing productivity to suffer.
- Decrease in social life – individually addicted to the internet spend lesser time being outdoors and do not interact with friends or family.
- Time alteration –an individual is so lost in the world of browsing that they do not have any track of the time elapsed.
- Escapism – another major reason is that users get deeply involved with online communities while trying to escape the reality of life. Moreover their problems are left untreated and they get more involved into the internet world.
- Depression – Undecided whether depression causes social media addiction or social media addiction cause depression but both scenarios are equally probable.
- Social anxiety – Being in the online world all the time makes it challenging to face with real time circumstances and can cause anxiety attacks.
- Back or wrist pain – both can occur with long durations of computer use.
Selecting a Treatment for Internet & Gaming Addictions
Both inpatient and outpatient can be treated successfully in case of social media addiction. Though depending on each individual’s assessment and severity towards the addiction a suitable type of treatment will be recommended.
In an outpatient treatment an individual requires to come for counselling visits a few days in a week and still maintain their routine. While in a residential treatment an individual will be living at the facility and will have a scheduled process and 24/7 care.
Other advantages to residential rehab include:
- Personal and group counselling sessions.
Being away from the places and people that encourage internet usage is not only helpful, but a compulsion for many. To improvise on the habit without changing the environment around is not feasible for many individuals who gain from being in a secluded location while undergoing an social media addiction treatment.
- Complete confidentiality.
Absolute confidentiality is guaranteed and no information is disclosed unless prior permission is reserved.
- 24/7 care
All through the day and night there are counsellors and support staff available to assist the clients through cravings or any other requirement that may arise during the treatment period.
- Less stress
Everything from meals to laundry service is provided at the treatment facility. And each day has a scheduled activities for each client, helping them to concentrate solely on their well-being and recovery.
Selecting the Alpha Healing Center
While some social media users can continue with their daily routines, those suffering from the effects of social media addiction find it hard to perfume effectively in other areas of life. Fortunately, social media addiction is treatable. Many people have gone through treatment and recovered successfully.
You can reduce the harmful effects of social media addiction by reducing screen time and setting boundaries. However, if the condition is severe, you need professional help.
At The Alpha Healing Center, our trained and experienced therapists will use evidence-based treatment programs to ensure you receive the best care. Our treatment programs incorporate a range of therapies, including:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- 12 Steps methodology
- Mindfulness therapy
- Art therapy
- Drama therapy
- Physical fitness
If you can’t control your social media use, get in touch with the Alpha Healing Center for customized and dedicated treatment programs. We can help design a rehab program that’s well-matched for your requirements and help you get started on your road to recovery.